The organizing authority for Swiftsure has issued Amendment #2 to the Notice of Race for the Four Long Courses. This amendment replaces the IRC handicap classes for the Swiftsure Lightship Classic Race and the Hein Bank Race with ORC handicap classes. PHRF handicap classes will still be offered for these two courses.
This means the Four Long Courses now are:
1. Swiftsure Lightship Classic for monohulls (138.2 nautical miles) – PHRF and ORC classes
2. Hein Bank Race for monohulls (118.1 nautical miles) – PHRF and ORC classes
3. Cape Flattery Race (101.9 nautical miles)
a) for monohulls – PHRF
b) for multihulls – PHRF
4. Juan de Fuca Race – (78.7 nautical miles)
a) fully crewed – PHRF
b) double-handed – PHRF
The Swiftsure Inshore Classic remains unchanged. It is for fully crewed or single-handed competition:
1. Monohull Flying Sails Race – PHRF
2. Monohull Non Flying Sails Race
3. Multihull Race
The change from IRC to ORC has been made in response to requests from the representatives of the skippers who have previously raced under the IRC handicap system. A number of skippers of other yachts have also indicated a desire to race under their ORC certificates. Combine that with Swiftsure being a qualifying race for Vic-Maui which also uses the ORC Rating System.
Swiftsure…Always a Challenge