Countdown to Swiftsure

News

Cinderella Makes Her Finish May 29, 2017

Ballad, a Cal 43 from Anacortes Yacht Club, finished at 2:24 AM.

And Cinderella, an Ericson 35-2 from Sloop Tavern Yacht Club, found her way home, slipping across the finish line at Ogden Point at 3:05 AM, making Cinderella the final boat of the 2017 Swiftsure International Yacht Race to finish within the time line of 6 AM Monday morning.

The crew were met with smiles and hugs from Swiftsure Race Chair Vern Burkhardt while soup from Volunteer Coordinator Judie Abel was presented. The Principal Race Officer John Abel congratulated the crew on a fine finish. For one of the crew, Catherine Terrana of Bayville, NY, this was not only her first race but also her first time ever sailing. 

In the wee hours, Cinderella’s crew talked about the fog. This was heard of a lot during the Swiftsure race.

Congratulations to Cinderella and crew on finishing within the 6 AM Monday deadline and becoming the 2017 recipient of the Lanterne Rouge.

Charlotte Gann 

A Beautiful Challenge May 28, 2017

Racers heard last Friday evening at the Skipper’s Meeting that currents, as forecast by Dr Richard Dewey, would not favour them and the winds, with a large and stationary high foretold by Bruce Hedrick, may not be a positive. Hallmarks for a light airs competition seemed evident.

What really transpired? Wind. Consistent enough to keep moving if you didn’t seek out holes. Dolphins, a pod of about 30 male sealions, a grey whale, orcas. An Aurora Borealis on Saturday night. And fog which helped create the wind. Lots of sun, starlight reflected on the water’s surface. Ditch diving away from cruise ships and tow boats. A bit of busted gear, ropes tangled in props.

And for all this, a beautiful race.

So many stories, competitions big and small. 

And smiles. Ladies and gentlemen of the yacht racing community, Swiftsure thanks you for creating the most wonderful race in this corner of the planet.

Swiftsure –  Always A Challenge 

Charlotte Gann 

 

Perseverance – Hallmark of Yacht Racing

90% of life’s adventures are about showing up. The other 10% is sticking with things, no matter how challenging. Yacht racing epitomises this and Swiftsure 2017 is no exception.

Most yachts finished the race in the last 12 hours. At 5:30 PM on Saturday, there are still about 20 boats racing. About half are the Cape Flattery Race, 5 in Swiftsure Lightship Classic (course length 138.2 nm),  and about 5 in Juan de Fuca Race.

The question is who will be the last to finish within the time limit of 6 AM on Monday, May 29. The Swiftsure Race Committee will remain on the job until the last possible moment. The last to finish boat will be awarded the Lanterne Rouge.

Charlotte Gann

More News

2017 Race Results

Results for the 2017 Swiftsure International Yacht Race have been posted.

Find out more about our sponsors