On Wednesday, May 21st competitors’ boats begin arriving in Victoria’s Inner Harbour and the Swiftsure Centre tent will go up on Ship Point. Thursday and Friday, Swiftsure Registration area will be filled with sailors checking in for their races.
Saturday the races begin! Clover Point is a great spot for those interested in viewing the start of the event. The boats will be jockeying for best starting position in the area off Clover Point, and it will be quite a sight to see. The races continue through the weekend with boats in the long distance courses crossing the finish line off the end of the Ogden Point Breakwater during the night of Saturday and continuing all day Sunday and into that evening.
There will be a Race Tracker System in the Swiftsure Centre during the race which will show the positions of the competitors as they make their way along the race courses.
Thursday, May 22, 2014
- Swiftsure Centre at Ship Point in the Victoria Inner Harbour will be open between 2:00 PM and 6:00 PM for skippers to check in with the Race Committee and collect their race packages.
- On Ship Point (near Swiftsure Centre) a Lekwungen Cultural Centre display by the Songhees and Esquimalt First Nations will have information about their culture.
- The Swiftsure Lounge in Swiftsure Centre opens at 2:00 PM, with ‘The Midnights‘ performing from 8:00 to 11:00 PM.
- Food outlets will be open at Ship Point starting Thursday afternoon.
Friday, May 23, 2014
- Swiftsure Centre at Ship Point in the Victoria Inner Harbour will be open between 10:00 AM and 6:00 PM for skippers to check in with the Race Committee and collect their race packages
- Lekwungen Cultural Centre display by the Songhees and Esquimalt First Nations will again have information about their culture.
- The Night Market, with about 28 stalls and food vendors, will be located on Ship Point adjacent to Swiftsure Centre in the Victoria Inner Harbour. Arts and crafts and other goodies will be available from noon on Friday, May 23rd, and all day and evening on Saturday, May 24th
- From noon to 4 PM, Captain Jack Sparrow will entertain dockside with Scarlett Cutt
- At 3:30 PM the Skippers’ Meeting for the Swiftsure Inshore Classic will commence at the Swiftsure Centre
- At 4:00 PM, Club 9ONE9 in the Strathcona Hotel on Douglas Street will host the Skippers’ Meeting for the Three Long Courses. This will begin with Trophy presentations to 2013 winners and will be followed by the Official Competitors Meeting and a weather, tides and currents briefing. The latter will include technical briefings on expected wind conditions and any forecasts of heavy winds expected during the race
- The Swiftsure Lounge in Swiftsure Centre opens at 2:00 PM with ‘Younger Than Yesterday‘ playing from 8:00 to 11:00 PM
- A Silent Auction will take place throughout the late afternoon and will close at 9 PM
Saturday, May 24, 2014
- The day starts with Central Saanich Lions Club serving a Pancake Breakfast from 8:00 AM at Clover Point, while racers begin leaving the inner harbour about 7:00 AM.
- Songhees and Esquimalt elders will bless the Swiftsure fleet from Clover Point at 8 AM.
- Race start sequences commence at 8:51 AM. The first race starts at 9:00 AM with four subsequent starts to follow every 10 minutes. Starting sequence may vary due to changes in weather, as described in the Sailing Instructions.
- The Start Line will be from a tall crane located at Clover Point to the Royal Canadian Navy’s HMCS Nanaimo which will be at anchor.
- After the race starts the Royal Canadian Air Force will conduct a search and rescue and safety demonstration over the water in front of Clover Point using a Cormorant SAR helicopter.
- The start of the race will be streamed live on the Swiftsure website, and two Swiftsure hosts will be broadcasting live at Clover Point explaining the race start procedures and tactics.
- The Swiftsure Inshore Classic will finish in Cadboro Bay near Oak Bay and celebrate the day’s racing with a barbecue, wind-up party and Silent Auction starting 4:00 PM.
Saturday, May 24 and Sunday, May 25
- Swiftsure Centre is open from 10:00 AM on Saturday through the night to 6:00 PM on Sunday for race tracking.
- Free computerized vessel plotting and information services (access to the Race Tracker complete with an expert resource to explain the race and relative positions of competitors) will be available to the public at the Swiftsure Centre at Ship Point.
- Swiftsure Centre will also be the venue for a local band extravaganza being jointly hosted by the Victoria Kinsmen Club and the Young Entrepreneurs Society of Victoria. This will run all day Saturday until 11:00 pm in Swiftsure Centre.
- From 10:00 PM until the race is over the inspection dock at Ship Point will be open for safety inspections of finishing yachts.
Sunday, May 25 and Monday, May 26
- Swiftsure Finish Line is best viewed from the breakwater at Ogden Point.
- The time limit for completing all races is at 6:00 AM on Monday, May 26.
RACE SCHEDULE START SEQUENCE
Race Sequence for Saturday, May 24 (see below for General and Individual Recalls)
- First Race: The Swiftsure Lightship Classic
- 8:51 AM Warning
- 9:00 AM Start
- Second Race: The Unlimited Flattery Race and Cape Flattery Race for Multihulls
- 9:00 AM Warning
- 9:10 AM Start
- Third Race: The Cape Flattery Race
- 9:10 AM Warning
- 9:20 AM Start
- Fourth Race: The Juan de Fuca Race
- 9:20 AM Warning
- 9:30 AM Start
- Fifth Race: The Swiftsure Inshore Classic Race
- 9:30 AM Warning
- 9:40 AM Start
Included are full details about the Swiftsure Race Start Sequence. This is what the Swiftsure racers need to know to prepare effectively for the race starts.
On June 19 – 21, consider taking in the Aboriginal Festival 2014 in Victoria.